Deleting a Service¶
If you have a service showing up in APM that you no longer need, it’s easy to delete–simply use the delete option from the service configuration menu on the Service Overview page:
What happens to the data in the service?¶
While the service entry itself is deleted and no longer will show up in lists of services, the behavior for the underlying data is slightly different as it may be referenced in various places.
Services contain 3 types of data:
- Unsampled metric data -
- The metrics will not be deleted, and are still available in charts and dashboards up to the point they stopped reporting as that service.
- If the service is re-created with the same name, the metrics will be available again.
- Sampled trace data - heatmaps, database, cache, and remote service calls
- The data will be deleted.
- If the service is re-created with the same name, the metrics will not be available again.
- Raw traces
- The data will not be deleted, but its mapping to this particular service will be deleted.
- The traces are still accessible by X-Trace ID until they expire, or, if they have crossed multiple services, via navigation from the other service pages.
What happens if I re-use the same service name?¶
If you re-use a deleted service name, it will be recreated. Note that some historical data may re-appear (metrics; see above) in the service if it has not expired out.
Why does my service keep re-appearing?¶
Services are automatically created when we see a new service name reported by APM agents. If you re-use a deleted service name, it will be recreated. You can see what hosts/containers are reporting data on the Service Overview page in order to track down why the service is being created.